New "hierarchical" controller service system confusing

New "hierarchical" controller service system confusing

Russell Bateman-2
Friends,

I find the new (well, since 0.7.x -> 1.x) way of associating controller services based on the process group a bit disorienting. When one follows the right arrow from a consuming processor and lands on the
Process Group Configuration page where the services are configured, one is obliged to click on the General tab to figure out whether the controller service is at the root (the case for services whose flows were upgraded from the 0.7.x world) or for a specific process group (the case for configuration accomplished post-upgrade/native 1.x).

I realize that this will be a dwindling problem, but there's enough white space in this dialog to justify putting the Process Group Name to the right of the dialog title (
Process Group Configuration) while on the Controller Services tab, even without the momentary confusion of origin (that is, a flow from 0.7.x vs. a "native" 1.x flow). So, I consider that this enhancement holds regardless of whether upgraded flows are present or not.

At the same time, I'm tempted to ask how, when looking on the Controller Services tab/page, one figures out which processor instance(s) is (are) consuming a particular controller service I'm looking at?

Russ

Re: New "hierarchical" controller service system confusing

Matt Gilman
Russell,

Thanks for the suggestion on the improved Controller Service UX. Would you mind filing a JIRA for this improvement?

In 1.x, the user can see the components referencing a Controller Service in 1 of 3 places. The references are shown in the read-only details dialog, the service configuration dialog, and the enable/disable service dialog. The references will include Processors, Reporting Tasks, and Controller Services (and components that reference those services and so on).

Thanks

Matt

Russ